Sunday, November 22, 2009

Slimy Popcorn Kernels.

When a parent witnesses a child do smart things, I don’t think it is unusual for that parent to blow it out of proportion and determine that they, through the wonders of genetics, gifted the world with the next Einstein. When a parent sees their child do suspiciously odd things, parents write it off as momentary silliness. Finally, when parents witness their children doing something completely dumb and unexplainable, that’s when they begin to worry. Ironically, questioning the same gene pool again.

The other day for a second time my near three year old shoved a popcorn kernel up his nose for fun. The first time he did this it was quite an ordeal. There was sneezing and some squealing involved along with a panicked older sister. It took a good thirty minutes to get the slimy little thing out of his nose. ~And yet, what do we have? Not a week later my son in all his genetic brilliance shoves another popcorn kernel up his nose. I couldn’t believe it.

Now, I know that he is little. I get that. Furthermore, had it not been less than a week since the last time he nearly inhaled raw popcorn I might have just disregarded it as silliness. I don’t believe my son is dumb. Quite the contrary I often fear my youngest child is diabolically brilliant. It struck me as odd that he would do this once. It freaked me out a little that he repeated the action forgetting the discomfort involved.

When the slimy little thing shot out of his nose thanks to a big sneeze, I suddenly realized that I am not much different from my nostril stuffing son.

Time and time again, I do things that must leave God questioning what I’m thinking. I make the same mistakes monotonously. I even make mistakes that I thought I had learned from. I should know better having experienced the previous discomfort, but I find myself in the same shoes as my son sneezing away trying to fix my redundant popcorn kernels…speaking symbolically, of course.

The nice thing about God is He will be there forgiving me, forgetting my popcorn kernels as long as I keep trying to do better. Clearly, this is all silliness and life is bigger and tougher than popcorn up a two year olds nose. Yet, I remember this…“For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.” I Corinthians 1:25.

Whether it’s popcorn kernels or a rebellious spirit my wisdom is merely God’s foolishness. He knows what is best for me, and within that omnipotence is the understanding that I will make mistakes, the same mistakes, again and again. I’m so thankful he forgives my chronicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All posts must include names.
I will not post anonymous messages.